Traditional Greek Christmas Sweets - Kourambiedes





As promised, we have the other main Greek traditional Christmas sweet - Kourambiedes. These contain a touch of ouzo as you can see, and it shouldn't be difficult to obtain some where you live as it is popular internationally.


Ingredients

650g butter
150g blanched almonds
1 kg all-purpose flour
2 egg yolks
50ml ouzo
110g icing sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1g vanilla powder


Preparation

Place the almonds in a shallow oven dish and bake them in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees C for about 15 minutes until they are slightly brown.

Let them cool and then roughly chop them.

Place the butter, which should be soft, in a mixer with the icing sugar and beat well with the cake beater for 15 minutes.

Add the egg yolk, ouzo and vanilla powder and continue beating for another 5 minutes.

Add the baking powder and almonds to the flour, add this mixture to the mixer and beat for a few seconds until the flour has been absorbed by the liquid.

Take pieces of the dough, trying to handle it as little as possible, and make them into the shape you want. Normally they are oval, but you can also make them circular, star-shaped, crescent-shaped etc. The thickness should be about 1½ cm.

Place them on non-stick oven dishes and bake in a pre heated oven at 160 degrees C for 20-25 minutes.

Allow them to cool, then dip them in icing sugar and place them in a layer on a Christmas decorated dish.

Sprinkle plenty of icing sugar on top of them and then place more layers on top in pyramid fashion. Sprinkle plenty of icing sugar on top of each layer.


If you've tried this recipe please rate it!


Eat And Enjoy!

13 comments:

This Makes My Day said...

Hello my friend,

I have a Christmas Message for you on my blog:
thismakesmyday.blogspot.com/christmasgreeting

Greetings and best wishes,
Thismakesmyday

Unknown said...

I'm one of your entrecard readers and I'm hopping in to wish you a

Merry Christmas!


.

Mizé said...

Hi.
I´d like to wish you a Good Christmas!
Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Hello Symposio, Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

I wish you a Merry Christmas and may God bless you and yours. :)

Liz said...

hope your christmas would be filled with love, cheers and good tidings. merry christmas!!!

A Simple Life

Moms... Check nyo

Mommy's Little Corner

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

hi there,

merry christmas to you. i hope its not to late

pixen said...

Καλά Χριστούγεννα και Ευτυχισμένο το Νέο Ετος

pixen said...

this is one of my favourite cookies beside the coconut rolls :-D

Yeo KeeHui said...

Really nice blog. I love it. Make me hungry. Have a happy new year.

This Makes My Day said...

Happy New Year my friend and I wish you all the best for 2009! Thnks for all your delicious recipes that you brought us in 2008!

Greetings,
thismakesmyday

Unknown said...

All so delicious! I just visited Karpathos and I'm looking for the recipe for Macaroones as well as the lovely pastry pie with spinach and feta

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics